It’s hard to find the appropriate category to file this news, as it touches on many exciting angles and opportunities.
As many of you have heard – I’m very excited and happy to announce the acquisition of ShareASale by Affiliate Window, and even more excited to be here and grow these companies together.
I realize that many of you reading this are friends and acquaintances I’ve met in the industry so far over the past 16 years – so I’ve taken the liberty of starting from a more personal perspective.
ShareASale has inspired quite a few conversations and been presented with various opportunities over the years – either individuals or entities looking to invest, or those looking to acquire the business. However, It was never something I seriously considered as I knew that the most important thing to me was the actual company that would do the acquiring – much more so than purely the financial component.
This was, after all, my creation. I can remember the day we had our first client come aboard. I can remember hand-writing 100’s of checks to Affiliates around the world and thinking, “You know, I should automate this.” I remember the nervous energy surrounding hiring our first employee.
Having a business acquired, your creation – as any entrepreneur will tell you – is a moment filled with a zillion different emotions.
I knew all along that the most important aspect of any potential acquisition was WHO the company was, WHAT they stood for, and most importantly HOW they see value in ShareASale and WHY they consider it an asset.
We’ve always done business “our way”, and there was no situation where I would compromise that – for the sake of our customers, or our employees.
I’m extremely lucky that there is a company like Affiliate Window who very much shares our vision for what it means to concentrate and focus on value-driven, ethical, and customer-balanced solutions. I chose Affiliate Window to be the acquirer of ShareASale, just as much as they chose me. I say that I’m lucky because I’m sure there are entrepreneurs who sell their businesses and they aren’t sure what will happen after… will that business disappear? Will the employees stay on? And so on. I’m lucky because I don’t have to worry about that. In every aspect of business that we have discussed together, we have agreed on what I consider to be my core company mission and ideals.
This wasn’t a fire sale. This wasn’t a top-bidder auction, or desperation move. This was me, ShareASale, deciding and choosing to be acquired because Affiliate Window is an amazing and inspiring global organization that shares my vision of the market- and because I saw the unique opportunity to be a huge part of something larger in the market than we had accomplished on our own.
To address specific points of business:
• I am, absolutely, still staying here as CEO of ShareASale. I love this industry, this business, the employees involved, solving problems for our customers, and growing this industry with you.
• The service and style of our business remains the same. We’re all still here just like we always were to help you as an Affiliate, Merchant, or Agency grow your program or business.
• There is still a party at Affiliate Summit, and no – this is not the last one!!
• Tracking, links, interface, etc… There are no plans to make you migrate links, move platforms – nothing along those lines. Any integrations that we dive into will be thought of carefully and only improve your experience.
• Yes, I will still wear a sweater vest and play the piano.
• ShareASale’s commitment to the business practices which we have championed, and, importantly, those that we have championed against over the years all remain in-tact.
Now… on to the good part. What are the opportunities, and why does this make so much sense and how does this benefit you?
• Affiliate Window and the larger zanox group have a dominant market-share in the UK, and across all of Europe. This means that Merchants and Affiliates alike will have only positive opportunities for growth in this area.
• Affiliates will have even more choices in terms of Merchant programs to partner with across the entire globe – representing a huge opportunity for international growth.
• ShareASale and Affiliate Window will be able to combine and enhance efforts in the areas of compliance, brand protection, tracking, payments, and all of the core focus areas of our businesses. This has already happened, just from the sharing of ideas and having the ability to “bounce things off of each other” as we have all faced the same challenges over the years.
Our goal is to become the largest global Affiliate Network available – and to bring that to you in the same manner that you’re accustomed to.
I’m always available and plan to discuss these things in person with you at Affiliate Summit – but if you have any questions at all, please email me at email@example.com. I firmly believe, based on my 16 years of experience as CEO of this company, and in this industry, that this acquisition by Affiliate Window will propel not only both companies, but the ideals that we have shared in our collective vision of what Affiliate Marketing should be.
I was so proud to see all of your congratulatory words and messages. They meant so much to me. Thank you all, and see you in Las Vegas for Affiliate Summit! (yeah, yeah….)