April 15, 2013
Probably the most dreaded day in April for all working American citizens. For most Americans, the weeks leading up to this day are filled with stress, procrastination, lots of numbers, and receipt scrabbling. Of course we’re talking about the deadline day for filing taxes – that’s fun to talk about on Friday, right? Well it is for those of you who are gleefully aware of the amount of money you will get in returns. But, regardless of whether or not you will be getting money back, the sheer idea of completing your taxes for another year is reason enough to celebrate. So we will all be celebrating in one month from today!
What does ShareASale have to do with your taxes? Well,if you are an Affiliate, you will need to submit a W-9 to the Network. Let me walk you through this form…
What is a W-9?
A W-9 is a type of tax form which gives the requester the appropriate Taxpayer Identification Number for tax paying purposes. It reports an individual’s income generated through ShareASale to the IRS.
Why do I have to submit a W-9?
In accordance with U.S. tax law and IRS regulations, it is a requirement for ShareASale to collect W-9 forms from all Affiliate who are US citizens. It is a way for the government to ensure that taxes are being paid.
How do I submit a W-9?
You can find our W-9 form by going to https://shareasale.com/a-w9.cfm. Our form can be submitted electronically, via mail, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (312-321-0488).
How do I know that my ShareASale account has a W-9 on file?
After you submit your W-9, the notification on your Home Page will disappear when the form has been filed successfully. You can also check the status of your form on the bottom of your Edit Settings page (https://shareasale.com/a-account.cfm) located under the Account menu option.
Helpful tips for quick processing:
- Make sure your user ID number is somewhere on the form to ensure that it moves forward to processing.
- Don’t fret if electronic submission isn’t working! Another easy way to submit the form is to fill it out, save it in JPEG format and send it via email to email@example.com.
- Make sure the address on your W-9 form matches the address on your account.
- If you have questions as to how to fill out the form or what to put, instructions can be found on pages 2-4 of the W-9.
- If you are not a US citizen, all other tax forms can be found here: https://shareasale.com/a-w8.cfm.