You are likely familiar widgets of some kind, but what about widgets as it pertains to a Merchant’s Creative Inventory on ShareASale? Cue the Oh’s and Ah’s.
I think widgets on ShareASale get a bad rep because they are typically created quickly without much thought to creativity and customization.
But, I’m here to tell you that widgets can be AMAZING!
Widgets allow Merchants to create custom content for all types of Affiliates, but it’s important put some time into the creative process.
If you want to make a simple widget, we have a great tutorial video available. However, seeing as this is a “Best Of” month – we are going to talk about the best ways to make a widget.
Best Way to Create a Widget? The Free HTML Option.
Why? Because it allows for total customization! I’m all about making these look nice – and this is the best way to make your widget look nice. You could get really fancy here – but we are going to stick to a beginner-intermediate level.
Let’s break it down.
- Widgets are all about tabs – create 2-3 tabs. At least one with your nicely put together HTML.
- Widgets are also about content. Add text, banners, products, etc – each of which can link somewhere unique – while remaining in essentially the same ‘creative’.
- Make it interactive! Since you can send users to different spots on your website, why not make the widget stand out with a few fun features. Think survey, quiz, something with cats, etc…
- Use ShareASale Macros. I’ve listed out a number of available macros below.
My Top 5 Favourite Macros (we have a lot more!):
- To add a banner – !!BANNERIDXXX!!
- To add a product image* – !!PRODUCTIDXXXTHUMB!!
- To add a product url* – !!PRODUCTIDXXXURL!!
- To add a deal title – !!DEALIDXXXTITLE!!
- To add a deal code – !!DEALIDXXXCODE!!
*You must have a product datafeed uploaded with those fields in order for this macro to work.
The Creative Planning Process: Tips to Remember
- Have someone in mind. In my example above, I imaged this sitting below or in the middle a fashionistas blog post.
- Size matters. You can create widgets for sidebars, skyscrapers or blog posts.
- Keep it relevant. Widgets are great for seasonal gift guides, buying guides, etc.
- Content counts! I prefer images in widgets, but adding a tab with a quick article or bullet points is great as long as the content is quick and relevant.
If you already know HTML – have at it! If you are less familiar with HTML, I’ve provided you with a template of the above example. You will need to fill in your desired text and replace the XXXs with your Product IDs.
In your Merchant Account > My Creatives > Widgets > Create a New Widget.
Remember to choose the “Free HTML” option when you go to add a new tab.
Affiliates! Looking for Merchants with Widgets?
A list of all Merchants with live widgets can be found here: Links Tab > Widgets