Affiliate Recruitment Strategies
|Over the years, one of the most common questions I receive from merchants is, “How do I recruit more affiliates into my program?”. Size and age of one’s program has no bearing on the importance of affiliate recruitment. It’s an ongoing and essential task of affiliate program management.At ShareASale’s recent Think Tank event, there was a workshop panel dedicated to this very discussion. The panel consisted of a mix of both merchants and affiliates – all experts in their field. We posed a series of recruitment focused questions to the panel the responses of which are summarized for you below.|
|1. How much time, on average, do you spend recruiting new affiliates?
A: It all depends on the size and scale of the program. For larger merchants who may have a dedicated program manager, it may be 1-2 hours or day. For others, the number could be 1-2 hours a week. It all depends on the manpower available.
2. Is there seasonality with affiliate recruitment?
A: Fourth quarter is definitely a slow time. Not to say that new affiliates can NOT be recruited at this time, but it’s a slower time overall. Merchants should put the recruitment muscle in from January thru September. Once September hits, affiliates are putting their focus on fourth quarter marketing. So start heavy recruitment efforts up again after the New Year.
3. Are there resources outside of ShareASale that can be used to gain exposure for an affiliate program?
4. If I’m shy, what are some tips for striking up a conversation with an affiliate at a conference?
5. What are some ways to attract affiliates when an email address not be available?
7. What kinds of incentives have you found work best when trying to bring in a prospective affiliate?
8. If you could only offer one tip to a merchant regarding recruitment, what would it be?
Hi! I'm Sarah, the Director of Client Services for ShareASale.com. I came to ShareASale in 2005 and am responsible for providing strategic guidance and educational resources to Merchants & Affiliates that can be used to grow their accounts. My favorite thing in the world, aside from affiliate marketing of course, is traveling. Random fact: my first concert ever was Neil Diamond when I was 4. As a result, I know an alarmingly large number of Neil Diamond songs. Don’t be a hater.